Saturday, March 3, 2012

Corner Cafe

When we moved from our long time home, we moved into a newer home which had recently been updated, most of the work had been done in the kitchen.  Black granite had been installed on all the counter tops and back splash along with black slate tiles on the floor, the original medium oak cabinets were left in place.  I came from light bright almond tile counters, light almond appliances and mid tone oak cabinets.  My kitchen was an old world Tuscan/wine theme with all the colors of Italy.  My new kitchen just did not fit that look so I changed it up to a corner/café/coffee shop theme, incorporating the black and oak with stainless steel appliance and brushed nickel cabinet pulls.  We added a large granite and oak island to match the rest of the kitchen, with some lovely high ladder back stools at the island.  I re-covered the cushions in a dark red fabric and added some darling fabrics featuring the coffee/café colors I was basing my new kitchen update on; brown, black, slate gray, tan and red.  The new fabrics pulled all the colors together giving the kitchen a more cohesive look.




These are some of the fabrics I used for my place mats and kitchen curtains. The larger prints became individual quilted place mats which I lined with Insul-Bright to protect the granite counters from heat damage.  The smaller prints became the café curtains hanging over the kitchen sink.

The cute little hot pads are reversible and were made from leftover scraps from the place mats; each one is lined with Insul-Bright so they could be used to protect the counters and tabletops from damage. All the little touches really pull the whole room together, of coarse I still have a few more small projects to finish in the kitchen but it is getting there and feeling more like home everyday.

FYI: For those of you who don't know; Insul-Bright is a needlepunched insulated lining which reflects heat or cold back to the source. It is machine wash and dry and easy to sew through.  I love this stuff and use it for hot pads, place mats, oven mitts, ironing board overs, casserole cozies and many more projects. 

Thanks for letting me share my own little café/ coffee shop makeover, I have many more projects to share with you in the coming months, keep watching for several room makeovers, painting projects, landscaping adventures and of coarse lots of sewing and craft projects.  See you soon.  Laurette

I you enjoyed reading this post you might also like:

Paisley Crazy –Room Makeover
Black & White Bling
A Bit of Bling
Fabric Organization



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...