Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Blue Jean Shorts to Skirt Part - 2


I finally found the time to finish the makeover of the girl’s blue jean shorts into a skirt. This project did not take a lot of time with the exception of the gathering of the two layers of ruffles to fit the new style of the old shorts. Once I had the ruffles ready the rest went very quickly and the skirt was done in no time.  Included in today’s post are the before and after shots and a photo shoot I did with my cute little model, my granddaughter.

Before:


After:

The transformation of the shorts to skirt was much easier then with the pants, just simple cuts up the inner thigh on each leg; carefully cutting through the seam in the center, with old blue jeans the fabric is very thick, a sharp pair of scissors works best.  Next I flattened out the fabric as best I could then cut off the legs to just a little below the zipper leaving enough room to attach the ruffles I made earlier. I was careful to make sure the inside pockets did not get caught up in the seams by pinning them out of the way while sewing on the ruffle. I added some top stitching to the skirt and ruffles to keep them from irritating my granddaughter when she moves around.  I stitched up a narrow fabric belt and tacked it to the back of the skirt at the waistline so the new belt would not become lost in the wash.  I added a few pretty blue buttons to the front of the zipper placket to keep it fun and I was done.  I purchased a new blue shirt to go with the skirt and hand stitched a rick rack bow with a button in the center to tie it into the skirt; the outfit was complete and ready to wear.

Both skirts were upcycled from pants and shorts into bright darling garments ready for their second life in a new form, recycling at its best.



My very happy granddaughter modeling her new outfits, what a cutie!

Thanks for letting me share my upcycling skirt projects with you; I had a great time making them, wait until you see what I can do with a pair of men’s designer jeans, that’s for a later date.  I still have a few easy DIY projects to share with you next so keep watching for those.  I know, I know…, I was supposed to show those today but I was just too excited about finishing the skirts, I had to share those first, thanks for understanding, you will see those next, unless I find a better project to share. (Giggles!!)
See you soon.

Laurette

You might also like:

Girls Pants to Ruffled Skirt
Girls Blue Jean Shorts to Skirt
Sweatshirt to Jeweled Jacket
Sweatpants to Jeweled Skirt





3 comments:

  1. They really are adorable on her, and so glad the pants get a second run. IF the waist fits why waste the basic elements?!

    Thank you Again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy she loves her new outfits, she already wore her new blue skirt today, that's great to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so very cute and your granddaughter is a beautiful little girl that is lucky to have a crafty Nana. Cant wait to see what else you share.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...